The hustle and bustle of holiday activities, from family gatherings and gift buying to decorating, can leave you feeling anything but cheerful.
By practicing mindfulness, one can refocus and recapture the holiday spirit. It is all about staying grounded and focused on the moment to keep you from feeling overwhelmed and to connect with the joy of the season.
- Make your home feel more relaxing with simple decor updates
- Get out pen and paper and start a Journal
- Cut out busy trips to the mall
- Step outside
1. Simple home decor updates to create a relaxed home
A home that is disorganized and chaotic is not a relaxed one. Quick and easy updates to your home decor can easily create a calm and relaxing atmosphere.
- Plants and Flowers are incredibly soothing both visually and aromatically.
- Candles and Home Fragrance can add an air of calm and relaxation.
- Lighting is so very important. Natural sunlight does wonders to one’s spirit. Don’t block a room’s natural sunlight. Be sure to keep shades pulled up and curtains and drapes pulled off to the sides.
- Reduce distracting clutter, it will immediately instill a sense of calm and ensure good energy flow.
- Display inspiring and high vibration elements such as family photographs, freshly cut flowers or crystals.
- Surround yourself with books, throws and scatter cushions that are thoughtfully layered to tie in your overall look.
2. Start a Journal
You could use a digital journal app, however, handwritten journals can help you get more focused on your thoughts, especially if you intend to be more mindful and get the energy flowing.
Make it a daily or weekly habit and let your words flow. It is a good stress reliever and you can revisit any creative ideas you came up with.
There are varied topics to choose from for a journal and it would depend on your interest or need:
- Gratitude journal
- Reflective journal
- Travel journal
- Dream journal
- Goals and ambitions for the new year
3. Cut down on trips to the mall
- Support local brands, small businesses, artisans or craft shops and put money back in our local economy.
- Consider gift certificates for experiences like yoga, restaurants & attractions or spas.
- Get crafty with DIY gifts for loved ones.
- Donate to a nonprofit.
4. Step outside
At night, create a magical scene with lantern lighting while entertaining guests al fresco. Serve up some snacks and put out a cotton throw and scatter cushions on the lawn for a picnic and keep the kids entertained.
Meditation can have a positive impact in many areas of your life, including mindfulness, stress management, creativity, and your overall outlook on life.